CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
(Closed to oral abstracts except for invited keynotes.)
The Metallurgy and Materials Society of CIM is planning for a full in-person conference in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
All accepted authors will present in person at the conference in Toronto.
Author Responsibilities and Obligations
- Paper/Extended Abstract: All oral authors MUST submit a full (approx. 10 pages) paper or extended abstract (2-3 pages) for peer review. See the Author-Speaker Tools page for paper/extended abstract guidelines. The online abstract title, text, and author list can be revised by the author until the final paper/abstract deadline, but remember to check spelling and grammar carefully as the abstract will be reproduced as submitted. Papers are optional for plenary/panel sessions and invited keynotes. We do not accept papers/extended abstracts for poster presentations.
- Deadlines: All authors must comply with the deadline dates listed on this website (paper/extended abstract submission dates, registration payment, etc.).
- Presentation: All oral accepted authors will be required to record their PowerPoint presentations on video for the conference and for the purposes of the CIM Academy and web dissemination. All accepted presentations ORAL or POSTER are REQUIRED TO PRESENT IN PERSON IN TORONTO.
- Payment of fees by the deadline: MetSoc is not requiring a fee to submit an abstract however, we count on your professionalism to pay your author fee by May 15th if your abstract/paper is accepted as we are a non-profit Society. Failure to pay by the stipulated deadline may result in the removal of the presentation from the program and the paper or extended abstract from the proceedings (if applicable). Presenters of multiple papers need to register only once. A full refund will be provided to authors who have pre-registered but will not attend because their paper(s) or extended abstract(s) is not accepted.
- Registration fees vary with your CIM membership status. You are not required to be a member but CIM students and CIM members receive a discount. Regular attendees and presenters purchase the full registration fee. Registration fees for non-CIM members average $1200CAD and CIM student pricing averages $250-300CAD.
|Call for Abstracts opens||October 1, 2022|
|Abstract submissions deadline-EXTENDED!
||January 18, 2023|
|Abstract decisions||February 3, 2023|
|Draft paper/extended abstract submission deadline||March 1, 2023|
|Registration opens||April 17, 2023|
|Final paper/extended abstract deadline||April 17, 2023|
|Author registration deadline||May 15, 2023|
- All abstracts (included Invited, Plenary, etc.) must be submitted electronically via our online system following the easy, step-by-step instructions.
- All abstracts must be written in English.
- Maximum 1500 characters (including spaces).
- A lead author/presenter may submit up to 2 abstracts.
- Presentation types include oral and poster, student and non-student (if you are a professor but wish to have your student present the work, consider your submission as a student presentation. Failure to do so will force the student to pay full price for registration).
Note: Submission of an abstract does not constitute acceptance for presentation nor registration for the conference. Submission of an abstract implies the commitment that the author will produce a paper or extended abstract (oral presenters only, mandatory except for plenary/keynote speakers). If the oral or poster abstract is accepted after review, the presenting author will need to record their presentation online and attend the event in person. No financial assistance is available; the expectation is that financial resources to attend are available to the presenter.
The Proceedings will be published in electronic format and available as a digital download.
- By submitting a paper or extended abstract for review, the author agrees that it will be published in the proceedings if the final document is accepted.
- Publishing copyrights will be held by the Publisher. Authors will be free to submit their work after the conference to a publication of their choice but must request permission.
- The author assumes full responsibility for obtaining permission to reproduce any copyrighted or otherwise protected data and images in their conference paper.
- Authors contributed to the manuscript on behalf of the National Research Council of Canada or other Canadian government organization(s); therefore, the copyright belongs to the Crown in Right of Canada, that is, to the Government of Canada. The Metallurgy & Materials Society of the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum will be granted the right to reproduce and publish the paper in order to include it in the COM 2023 proceedings.
Publication Copyright of Conference papers will be held by the Publisher as you agreed to when you submitted your abstract. If authors resubmit their paper to another publication, they must request official approval for re-publishing by the Publisher.
NOTE: The Conference Proceedings will not be indexed (e.g., Web of Science, Scopus).
Name of Publication: Proceedings of the 62nd Conference of Metallurgists, COM 2023